First disaster recovery center in Fort Myers opens
As of Tuesday, a relief center with representatives from 10 agencies is open for victims of Hurricane Ian in Fort Myers. The disaster recovery center is at Lakes Regional Library, 15290 Bass Road, and is open daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Gov. DeSantis’ office announced.
Additional disaster recovery centers are being established by FEMA and Florida Dept. of Emergency Management and will be announced “in the coming days,” according to the press release. Locations will be updated at www.floridadisaster.org.
A similar center in Charlotte County is at the Port Charlotte Town Center, 1441 Tamiami Trail in Port Charlotte and open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The site is considered an initial payment center, which means that impacted policyholders can meet with their companies to file claims and for the companies to issue checks. “In the aftermath of Hurricane Ian, insurance carriers will focus on the immediate needs of policy holders by providing resources for specific items including living expenses,” the release said.
Florida has also deployed mental health professionals who can offer counseling and support, the governor’s office announced, as well as five SpaceX Starlinks to provide internet and cellular access.
Along with volunteer groups, representatives from the following state agencies, partners, and federal organizations are on site at the Fort Myers center and available to help survivors and provide individual and business assistance include:
- Florida Division of Emergency Management
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Florida Department of Economic Opportunity
- Office of Florida’s Chief Financial Officer, Jimmy Patronis
- Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
- Florida Department of Children and Families
- Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Florida Office of Insurance Regulation
- Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
- Enterprise Florida, Inc.
- Legal Services of North Florida
- CareerSource Southwest Florida
- CareerSource South Florida
- CareerSource Pasco Hernando
- Florida Small Business Development Center Network (SBDC)
WGCU is your trusted source for news and information in Southwest Florida. We are a nonprofit public service, and your support is more critical than ever. Keep public media strong and donate now. Thank you.